Video Shows South Africa Police Shooting Miners
JOHANNESBURG (AP) â¿¿ Cellphone video of last year's massacre by police during a strike outside Lonmin's platinum mine in Marikana, South Africa shows one police officer warning colleagues not to shoot before others opened fire, killing 34 miners.
The video raises questions about whether the shootings were in self-defense, as police have categorized them.
Ian Farlam, the chairman of the commission overseeing hearings on the deaths of the miners on Aug. 16, said Tuesday it is premature to draw conclusions from the footage. Farlam did confirm that two policemen filmed the footage broadcast by Britain's Channel 4 on Sunday.
Another portion of the cellphone video shows an officer calling a miner an expletive, and then saying: "I shot him at least 10 times."The video was filmed on Aug. 16, the day that police killed 34 miners. It was submitted to the commission investigating violence during nearly six-weeks of protests at the Marikana mines that killed 46 people in total and sparked labor protests across South Africa. Farlam said the footage was seen by the commission in November. The video shows how police kept their guns trained on two men while they crawled through a field. It shows a tactical response team officer calling for restraint while a miner is on the move. "The guy is there running. Wait. Don't shoot him, don't shoot him," the officer shouts. However, gunshots are heard and then the camera moves over the lifeless body of a man.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV