3. A Packaged Food Giant Snaps-Up Hain Celestial
What do you do if you are General Mills (GIS), Heinz (HNZ), Campbell's (CPB), or Kellogg (K) and you are stuck with products that the future of supermarkets, Whole Foods (WFM), doesn't care for? I think you can go pay $4 billion for the $2.8 billion purveyor of all natural and organic foods that is Hain (HAIN). CEO Irwin Simon has no desire to sell but I can't say the same for the passive- but- always- one- step- from- active Carl Icahn. Hain, maker of Nature's Best, Celestial Seasonings Teas, Terra Chips, and a whole host of organic soups and juices and snacks, is the quick way for any acquirer to get the price-to-earnings multiple that has eluded it to date because its products don't pass Whole Foods muster, while Hain has become a dominant player in that growing supermarket's aisles.
I expect WFM to double in size in the next few years and it will take along any supplier that comes with it. After the run that Conagra just experienced earlier this week for paying $5 billion for Ralcorp, dropping $4 billion to buy Hain, to give you some growth and longevity in the natural food supermarkets, is worth it for the CEOs of these totally stagnant stocks, even with the admittedly horrendous dilution it would cause.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV