10. Manitowoc Splits Into Two Businesses
Here's a one-hundred-year-old two- billion-dollar company that has no business whatsoever being under one roof. In 2013, I think it splits into two, a food service company and a crane and boom business.
Right now MTW gets 60% of its business from its heavy equipment segment, which is largely construction oriented and is 60% overseas. If you believe that China is coming back you have to believe construction is coming back. If so I think this business itself is worth $2.5 billion based on cyclical peak numbers during the last worldwide economic expansion.
On the other hand the food services business, which includes icemakers, refrigerators, frymasters and drink dispensers, provides 40% of the companies' sales. It's got a terrific secular growth business that includes equipment for the fast-growing fast food businesses, think equipment to make smoothies for McDonald's (MCD) worldwide. That food service division is worth another $2.5 billion to a growth manager. After all who wants a crane business and a food service business in the same house. Or even the same block!By unlocking this company you should be able to create as much as $12 in value. Or in arithmetical terms, $14 worth of Manitowoc goes to $24 almost immediately.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV