Customer Challenges Miss. Power Kemper Rates
By JEFF AMY
JACKSON, Miss. (AP) â¿¿ As Mississippi Power Co. draws closer to collecting for the $3 billion-plus Kemper County plant it's building, a customer of the company wants the state Supreme Court to rule utilities can't raise rates for power plants before they start making electricity.
Thomas Blanton, a Mississippi Power customer from Hattiesburg, said 2008's Baseload Act is an unconstitutional tax.
"We're putting up money and receiving nothing in return, and that's not what the American way is supposed to be," Blanton said after Monday's hearing. He said an increase could cost his oil and gas business more than $10,000 a month.Blanton's lawyer, Mike Adelman, argued before seven Supreme Court Justices that it's unconstitutional for the state to require customers to pay for power plant construction, "to take the place of what traditionally should be the investor," when there's no guarantee the plant will work as planned. Blanton got his day in court after intervening in a case Mississippi Power filed seeking Public Service Commission approval to raise rates. The regulatory body denied the company's request last year to begin collecting money for the plant, and Mississippi Power then appealed to the high court. But the PSC and Mississippi Power settled Thursday, with the commission agreeing to consider a new request to raise rates during construction. Mississippi Power asked for a 21 percent rate increase Friday. That's $172 million a year, which would raise the typical residential rate by more than $20 a month. The commission isn't obligated under the settlement to grant the increase, but agreed to rule on it within 80 days of it being filed. The company, which is a unit of Southern Co., and PSC told justices that it was too soon to rule on Blanton's challenge because he wasn't paying for the plant yet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV