NORFOLK, Va., Jan. 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Norfolk Southern Foundation, the charitable giving affiliate of Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC), awarded $7 million in grants to nonprofit charitable organizations during 2012, a 13 percent increase over 2011.
The NS Foundation supports programs to help nonprofit organizations in providing food, shelter, and medical care to those in need; expanding educational opportunities for children; preserving the environment; and promoting arts and culture.
"As a leading transportation provider, we believe we also should take the lead in investing in the communities where we operate," said Norfolk Southern CEO Wick Moorman.
In 2012, the NS Foundation provided:
- $2.55 million to 80 United Way campaigns and other health and human services groups: More than $1 million of this amount was distributed among The American Red Cross to assist with Superstorm Sandy relief; ForKids Inc. to help homeless families with children become self-supporting; and food pantries, including the Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia, Central Pennsylvania Food Bank, Atlanta Community Food Bank, and Feeding America Southwest Virginia.
- $1.24 million to cultural and performing arts groups, including: Virginia Arts Festival, Virginia Opera, Virginia Symphony, Virginia Stage Company, Chrysler Museum, North Carolina Transportation Museum, Western Virginia Foundation for the Arts and Sciences, Woodruff Arts Center, and Zoo Atlanta.
- $1.14 million to educational organizations: Benefiting from the 15 percent funding increase in this category were Virginia Early Childhood Foundation and Smart Beginnings-Hampton Roads , which prepare children to enter kindergarten; the ACCESS Scholarship Foundation, which provides scholarships to enable high school graduates in Hampton Roads to attend college; and 16 universities that received $300,000 in grants under the Norfolk Southern College Partnership Program. This program, established in 2006, builds relationships to enhance the railroad's recruiting opportunities, particularly for business and engineering graduates.
- $345,000 to civic, community, and environmental groups: As part of its environmental support, the Foundation provided grants to the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, Nature Conservancy of Virginia, and Elizabeth River Project to protect ecologically important lands and waters for nature and people. NS also supported the American Chestnut Foundation's project to reforest reclaimed mine sites in Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, and Kentucky with native, disease-resistant American chestnut trees.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV