- $2.55 million to 80 United Way campaigns and other health and human services groups: More than $1 million of this amount was distributed among The American Red Cross to assist with Superstorm Sandy relief; ForKids Inc. to help homeless families with children become self-supporting; and food pantries, including the Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia, Central Pennsylvania Food Bank, Atlanta Community Food Bank, and Feeding America Southwest Virginia.
- $1.24 million to cultural and performing arts groups, including: Virginia Arts Festival, Virginia Opera, Virginia Symphony, Virginia Stage Company, Chrysler Museum, North Carolina Transportation Museum, Western Virginia Foundation for the Arts and Sciences, Woodruff Arts Center, and Zoo Atlanta.
- $1.14 million to educational organizations: Benefiting from the 15 percent funding increase in this category were Virginia Early Childhood Foundation and Smart Beginnings-Hampton Roads , which prepare children to enter kindergarten; the ACCESS Scholarship Foundation, which provides scholarships to enable high school graduates in Hampton Roads to attend college; and 16 universities that received $300,000 in grants under the Norfolk Southern College Partnership Program. This program, established in 2006, builds relationships to enhance the railroad's recruiting opportunities, particularly for business and engineering graduates.
- $345,000 to civic, community, and environmental groups: As part of its environmental support, the Foundation provided grants to the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, Nature Conservancy of Virginia, and Elizabeth River Project to protect ecologically important lands and waters for nature and people. NS also supported the American Chestnut Foundation's project to reforest reclaimed mine sites in Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, and Kentucky with native, disease-resistant American chestnut trees.
Norfolk Southern Foundation Expanded Charitable Giving To $7 Million In 2012
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.