ITT Exelis (NYSE: XLS) received a $3.2 million follow-on contract from the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M., to provide upgraded satellite remote sensor systems.
The Exelis Coherent Beacon System is a space-based sensor system that investigates and forecasts natural disturbances in the Earth’s atmosphere. The sensor system transmits multiple signals through the ionosphere (the upper part of the atmosphere) to a ground-based receiver.
“The new sensor system gives our customers advance knowledge about changes in space weather,” said ITT Exelis Director of Antenna and Space Programs Mark Fournier. “This system will allow the U.S. military to predict the effects of ionospheric activity on signals from communication and navigation satellites, which are critical to the safety and performance of our warfighters.”
Under this contract, Exelis will provide additional sensors, simulators and the ground support equipment required for future payload integration activities. Exelis is teamed with Ball Aerospace Technologies Company under the sponsorship of AFRL. The original contract was awarded in 2011.About ITT Exelis ITT Exelis is a diversified, top-tier global aerospace, defense and information solutions company with strong positions in enduring and emerging global markets. Exelis is a leader in networked communications, sensing and surveillance, electronic warfare, navigation, air traffic solutions and information systems with growing positions in cyber security, composite aerostructures, logistics and technical services. The company has a 50-year legacy of innovation and technology expertise, partnering with customers worldwide to deliver affordable, mission-critical products and services for managing global threats, conflicts and complexities. Headquartered in McLean, Va., the company employs about 20,500 people and generated 2011 sales of $5.8 billion. www.exelisinc.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV