Report Card Grades 50 States On Government Transparency
ALEXANDRIA, Va., Jan. 29, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Today, Sunshine Review, a national nonprofit organization dedicated to state and local government transparency, released their 2013 Transparency Report Card grading every state and the largest counties, cities and school districts within each state on the availability of information on government websites. Government websites were graded "A" to "F" measuring available content available against a checklist of information all governments should provide to citizens.
"Transparency empowers citizens," said Michael Barnhart, President of Sunshine Review. "Citizens are entitled to crucial information on how the public business is conducted and how public money is spent. Without this information, voters cannot hold government accountable. Without transparency accountability is impossible."
Among the findings in the report:
- State websites outperformed local websites with 26 percent scoring in the "A" range, and 60 percent scoring a "B" or above.
- Whereas 28 percent of counties scored a "B" or above and 44 percent of cities scoring a "B" or above.
- School districts had the most dismal grades with only 20 percent of school districts scoring a "B" or above.
- A larger majority of states failed to receive "A" because of their failure to proactively disclosing lobbying data, disclosing how to attain public records and ease-of-use for tracking down data.
- The top five best performing states were California, Illinois, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Washington.
- The five worst performing states include: Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, Nebraska and South Dakota.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV