When everyone else is selling, companies can sometimes be punished too severely. That was my take on RadioShack. But this type of investing, which has been described as "dumpster-diving" is not for everyone. RadioShack's downward spiral is an indication that some believe the company will eventually go bankrupt. When that happens, stockholders typically get nothing.
Despite yesterday's move, RadioShack is still a net/net, and trades at about 0.93 times net current asset value. As of the latest quarter end, the company had $546 million or $5.45 per share in cash. However, there is also $749 million in debt, and that's one of the issues that has investors skeptical about the company's future. Still, RadioShack's enterprise value is just $523 million. I'm not sure there are any suitors interested in taking the company over, but it remains a possibility
Yesterday's move comes on the heels of an upgrade by Zacks, and the termination of a deal that RadioShack had with Target (TGT). The relationship had been unprofitable, so this was seen as a positive move.
Where we go from here remains to be seen; but there will be quite a bit of attention paid to the company's fourth quarter results, which are scheduled to be released on Feb. 18. The consensus is calling for revenue of $1.37 billion, and a loss of 5 cents per share. I don't normally pay much attention to a single quarter's results, but this one will be important.
At the time of publication the author is long RSH.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV