4. Like last year, the IRS will require individual investors to report capital gains and losses on their personal tax returns by completing a Form 8949, which will list and summarize gain/loss transactions.
5. TD Ameritrade has created a service and support group within its investor service call centers, as well as dedicated cost basis reporting content on its website to help educate clients on what this change means for them. Since last year, TD Ameritrade has also expanded its external chat capabilities related to questions about tax filing.
Becky Groves, Director of Government Reporting at TD Ameritrade, said, “Cost basis reporting is complicated and for that reason, we started educating clients about the new law back in 2010. With the introduction of mutual funds this year, we’ve expanded on that education and have enhanced our 1099 to simplify the 2012 tax filing process for our clients.”
Investors seeking more information on changes in cost basis reporting are encouraged to visit TD Ameritrade’s website for more information, contact TD Ameritrade via phone at 800-669-3900, or speak with an Investment Consultant at any of the company’s 100+ branch locations.TD Ameritrade does not provide tax advice. We suggest that you seek the advice of a qualified tax-planning professional with regard to your personal circumstances. AMTD-G About TD Ameritrade Holding CorporationMillions of investors and independent registered investment advisors (RIAs) have turned to TD Ameritrade’s (NYSE: AMTD) technology, people and education to help make investing and trading easier to understand and do. Online or over the phone. In a branch or with an independent RIA. First-timer or sophisticated trader. Our clients want to take control, and we help them decide how – bringing Wall Street to Main Street for more than 36 years. TD Ameritrade has time and again been recognized as a leader in investment services. Please visit TD Ameritrade’s newsroom or www.amtd.com for more information. Brokerage services provided by TD Ameritrade, Inc., member FINRA ( http://www.FINRA.org) SIPC ( www.SIPC.org) /NFA ( www.nfa.futures.org).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV