Earnings Preview: Altria Group
Altria also owns a wine business, holds a voting stake in brewer SABMiller, and has a financial services division.
As the company anticipates volume declines in its core cigarette business, it's also cutting costs. After completing a $1.5 billion multi-year cost savings program last year, Altria rolled out a plan to cut $400 million in "cigarette-related infrastructure costs" by the end of 2013.
WHY IT MATTERS: Increased spending on premium brands like Marlboro could signal consumers are adjusting to paying more for cigarettes following federal and state tax increases.
WHAT'S EXPECTED: Analysts expect Altria to earn 55 cents per share on revenue of $4.35 billion, according to FactSet.LAST YEAR'S QUARTER: Altria reported adjusted net income of 50 cents per share on revenue of $4.34 billion. Figures for both periods exclude excise taxes the company passes through to the government. ___ Michael Felberbaum can be reached at http://www.twitter.com/MLFelberbaum .
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV