National Bank Holdings Corporation (NYSE: NBHC) reported net income of $3.0 million, or $0.06 per diluted share for the fourth quarter of 2012 compared to the third quarter of 2012 net loss of $0.15 per diluted share. The third quarter included $10.8 million of after tax costs related to the successful initial public offering (IPO) in September 2012. Excluding the IPO related charges, net income for the third quarter of 2012 was $2.9 million, or $0.06 per diluted share.
“We continued to build momentum during the quarter in the growth and expansion of client relationships,” said President and Chief Executive Officer Tim Laney. “This was evidenced by our eighth consecutive quarter of increased organic loan production and solid growth in our non-interest bearing client demand deposits.”
Fourth Quarter 2012 Highlights
- Grew organic loan production for the eighth consecutive quarter, resulting in a 15.1% annualized growth in our strategic loan portfolio.
- Grew average non-interest bearing demand deposit balances 16.6% annualized, driving an increase in average transaction deposits of 4.0% annualized and an 11 basis point decrease in total cost of deposits.
- The net interest margin expanded to 4.09%, driven by higher yields on loans accounted for under ASC 310-30 loan pools and lower cost of deposits.
- Net charge-offs on non 310-30 loans were 0.27% annualized.
- Expenses before problem loan/OREO workout expenses were flat third to fourth quarter, adjusting for the third quarter IPO expenses.
- Problem loan/OREO workout expenses totaled $10.0 million, increasing $4.3 million over the third quarter of 2012 due to higher OREO workout activity.
- Added $8.9 million to accretable yield for the acquired loans accounted for under ASC 310-30. This was partially offset by $1.6 million in impairments.
- Tangible book value per share was $19.17 before consideration of the excess accretable yield value of $0.50 per share.
- Initiated regular quarterly dividend of $0.05 per share.
- Approximately $400 million in excess strategic capital (above 10% Tier 1 Leverage), which positions us for future growth opportunities.
Fourth Quarter 2012 Results
(All comparisons refer to the third quarter of 2012, except as noted)
Net Interest IncomeNet interest income totaled $49.6 million for the fourth quarter of 2012, and remained stable compared to the prior quarter. Despite the continued low interest rate environment, the fourth quarter net interest margin widened 17 basis points to 4.09%. The expansion of the net interest margin was benefitted by higher earning asset yields of 7 basis points and was driven by increased yields on loan pools accounted for under ASC 310-30. Yields earned on the ASC 310-30 loan pools improved 115 basis points from the prior quarter to 10.79% during the fourth quarter. In addition, the cost of deposits declined 11 basis points during the fourth quarter and continued to benefit from an improved deposit mix and lower costs of time deposits. The benefit of the wider net interest margin was offset by a decline in average interest earning assets of 3.9% as we continued our strategy of exiting non-strategic loans and slightly reduced the investment portfolio.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV