For the quarter, sales were up 18 percent, including increases of 20 percent in the Americas and 39 percent in Europe, and a decrease of 5 percent in Asia Pacific. Translation rates did not have a significant impact on sales growth for the quarter. For the year, sales increased 13 percent (15 percent at consistent translation rates), including increases of 13 percent in the Americas, 22 percent in Europe (28 percent at consistent translation rates) and 5 percent in Asia Pacific. Changes in currency translation rates decreased sales for the year by approximately $15 million.
Sales for the quarter included $32 million from Powder Finishing operations acquired at the beginning of April, including $6 million in the Americas, $20 million in Europe and $6 million in Asia Pacific. Sales for the year included $93 million from Powder Finishing, including $19 million in the Americas, $52 million in Europe and $22 million in Asia Pacific. For the quarter, sales at consistent translation rates and before acquisitions were up 14 percent in the Americas, flat in Europe and down 17 percent in Asia Pacific. On the same basis, sales for the year were up 9 percent in the Americas, up 2 percent in Europe and down 5 percent in Asia Pacific.
Gross profit margin, expressed as a percentage of sales, was 55 percent for the quarter, up slightly from last year, and 54 percent for the year, 1½ percentage points lower than last year. For the quarter and year, the effects of strong operational performance in legacy businesses offset the unfavorable effect of lower margin rates on acquired Powder Finishing operations. Non-recurring purchase accounting effects totaling $7 million related to acquired inventory were recognized in the second quarter, reducing gross margin percentage for the year by approximately 1 percentage point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV