NORWALK, Conn., Jan. 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- A new priceline.com (Nasdaq: PCLN) study of New Year's Eve hotel booking activity has found that 42% of all mobile-equipped travelers waited until after 5:00 p.m. local time to pull the trigger on their New Year's Eve hotel reservations. Meanwhile, 65% booked their rooms after 2:00 p.m. and 13% waited until after 9:00 p.m. to make their reservations. The data reinforces earlier priceline.com studies suggesting that travelers with mobile devices are more prone to make their travel reservations at the last minute, often after they've arrived in their destination city.
"Travel apps like Priceline can be game changers for hotels on holidays like New Year's," said John Caine, priceline.com's Chief Product Officer. "It gives them that one more shot at selling last-minute rooms to mobile-equipped travelers who already may be in, or close to town, having dinner, clubbing, or watching the fireworks."
To assemble its data, priceline.com reviewed bookings made through its free Priceline app for iOS and Android devices, and its Tonight-Only Deals service for the app. The app is particularly popular among mobile users because it allows them to find hotel discounts up to 35% or more for check-in that same night. Every Tonight-Only Deal shows the exact hotel along with amenities, photos, location, guest reviews, satisfaction scores and, of course, the specially discounted rate.
The New Year's Eve study looked at which destinations were the most successful in pulling in procrastinating revelers, and where these mobile consumers found the biggest room savings.Top Last-Minute New Year's Eve Destinations For Mobile-Equipped Travelers #1 Las Vegas Strip
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV