GAAP net income included the impact of a pre-tax gain of $48.6 million from the sale of the Company's minority ownership interest in deCODE Genetics to Amgen, Inc.
Depreciation and amortization expenses were $18.1 million and capital expenditures were $17.1 million during the fourth quarter of 2012. The Company ended the quarter with $1.35 billion in cash, cash equivalents and short-term investments, compared to $1.19 billion as of January 1, 2012.
Fiscal 2012 results:
- Revenue of $1.15 billion, a 9% increase over the $1.06 billion reported in fiscal 2011
- GAAP net income of $151 million, or $1.13 per diluted share, compared to $87 million, or $0.62 per diluted share in fiscal 2011
- Non-GAAP net income of $210 million, or $1.59 per diluted share, compared to $176 million, or $1.30 per diluted share, in fiscal 2011 (see table entitled "Itemized Reconciliation Between GAAP and Non-GAAP Net Income" for a reconciliation of these GAAP and non-GAAP financial measures)
Gross margin for fiscal 2012 was 67.4% compared to 67.2% in fiscal 2011. Excluding the effect of non-cash charges associated with stock compensation, amortization of acquired intangibles, legal contingencies, and amortization of inventory revaluation costs, non-GAAP gross margin was 69.7% for fiscal 2012 compared to 69.0% in fiscal 2011.R&D expenses for fiscal 2012 were $231.0 million compared to $196.9 million in fiscal 2011. R&D expenses for fiscal 2012 included a one-time impairment charge of $21.4 million related to an in-process research and development asset previously acquired. R&D expenses also included $30.9 million and $32.1 million of non-cash stock compensation expense in fiscal 2012 and 2011, respectively. Excluding these charges and contingent compensation expense, R&D expenses as a percentage of revenue were 15.3% compared to 15.2% in the prior year. SG&A expenses for fiscal 2012 were $286.0 million compared to $261.8 million in fiscal 2011. SG&A expenses included $55.4 million and $52.3 million of non-cash stock compensation expense in fiscal 2012 and 2011, respectively. Excluding these charges, contingent compensation expense, acquired intangible asset amortization, and legal contingencies, SG&A expenses as a percentage of revenue were 19.5% compared to 19.9% in the prior year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV