Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN) today announced its financial results for the fourth quarter and fiscal year of 2012.
Fourth quarter 2012 results:
- Revenue of $309 million, a 24% increase compared to $250 million in the fourth quarter of 2011
- GAAP net income for the quarter of $72 million, or $0.53 per diluted share, compared to net income of $12 million, or $0.09 per diluted share, for the fourth quarter of 2011
- Non-GAAP net income for the quarter of $57 million, or $0.42 per diluted share, compared to $44 million, or $0.35 per diluted share, for the fourth quarter of 2011 (see the table entitled "Itemized Reconciliation Between GAAP and Non-GAAP Net Income" for a reconciliation of these GAAP and non-GAAP financial measures)
- Cash flow from operations of $79 million and free cash flow of $62 million for the quarter
Gross margin in the fourth quarter of 2012 was 65.8% compared to 68.2% in the prior year period. Excluding the effect of non-cash charges associated with stock compensation, amortization of acquired intangibles, and amortization of inventory revaluation costs, non-GAAP gross margin was 68.5% for the fourth quarter of 2012 compared to 70.2% in the prior year period.
Research and development (R&D) expenses for the fourth quarter of 2012 were $56.9 million compared to $45.5 million in the fourth quarter of 2011. R&D expenses included $8.0 million and $7.3 million of non-cash stock compensation expense in the fourth quarters of 2012 and 2011, respectively. Excluding these charges and contingent compensation expense, R&D expenses as a percentage of revenue were 15.4% compared to 15.0% in the prior year period.Selling, general and administrative (SG&A) expenses for the fourth quarter of 2012 were $79.7 million compared to $60.9 million for the fourth quarter of 2011. SG&A expenses included $14.1 million and $12.7 million of non-cash stock compensation expense in the fourth quarters of 2012 and 2011, respectively. Excluding these charges, contingent compensation, acquired intangible asset amortization, and legal contingencies, SG&A expenses as a percentage of revenue were 19.9% compared to 20.1% in the prior year period.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV