JACKSON, Mich., Jan. 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Consumers Energy is advising the public to practice extreme caution when visiting areas near its 13 hydroelectric generating plants in the winter months, located on the Manistee, Muskegon, Au Sable, Kalamazoo and Grand Rivers.
In particular the utility is warning people about the likelihood of thin ice up and downstream of the dams.
"Ice conditions on the reservoirs next to these hydro plants can change rapidly due to unpredictable weather. In particular we want the public to be aware of the possibility of thin ice and dangers associated with the ice immediately upstream of the dam itself," said Donald Baker, river hydro superintendent for Consumers Energy.
Water currents at a hydroelectric plant can be hazardous in winter, when a reservoir may or may not be covered with ice. Ice near a dam is not reliable and should be avoided by snowmobilers, anglers and others enjoying recreation.Ice-covered water down river from a hydroelectric facility should also be considered very dangerous and is never a safe place to walk. Consumers Energy, the principal subsidiary of CMS Energy (NYSE: CMS), provides natural gas and electricity to 6.8 million of Michigan's 10 million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties. For more information regarding Consumers Energy, access our website at: www.consumersenergy.com or join us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/consumersenergymichigan SOURCE Consumers Energy
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV