News Summary: Caterpillar 4Q Results
By The Associated Press
ACQUISITION WOES: Caterpillar's fourth quarter profit was less than half as big as a year earlier because of weak demand and a deal for a Chinese mine equipment supplier. That deal turned out to be overpriced due to what Caterpillar is now calling accounting misconduct previous to the acquisition.
SLOWDOWN: Caterpillar slowed production in the second half of the year, especially in the final quarter. That hurt profits because even though production was slower, some expenses remained steady.
WHAT'S NEXT: That remains cloudy. Caterpillar said 2013 could either be a record year or a tough one, depending on which way the economy turns.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV