"What I learned is, the regulations have an effect. The expertise is part of it. The right vendors are important," Domino told me a few weeks back, as we talked over his company's radical new liquid crystal display. "But at the end of the day, you have to have patient investors."
"We are in the heart of a new ecosystem for screens in Ohio. The story of what it took to get that all in place has not been told," he said.
Domino is president of tiny Kent Displays, the Kent, Ohio-based interactive LCD maker. No, friends, that's no misprint. Domino really does make real money building world-beating displays, not in Chongqing, but 35 miles southeast of Cleveland. In mid-2012, Kent announced a second production line for its interactive LCDs. And a Kent spokesman, Kevin Oswald, confirmed to me that the 100-person firm makes about a million screens a year and that growth in "the past few years has averaged about 50%."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV