As part of updating iOS 6, Apple has incorporated the ability to buy movie tickets through Fandango, using Siri. Apple has hinted that it may get into mobile payments with its Passbook feature, which was introduced at Apple's developers conference in June. iOS 6 is used in Apple's iPhones and iPads.
In addition to Siri being able to buy movie tickets, iOS 6.1 has more features. iTunes Match subscribers can now download songs from iCloud, there is added support for LTE for more carriers, and there's a new button to reset the Advertising Identifier.
Adding Siri to the mix of buying products and services could help Apple with its Web services, which have seemingly been lacking in the past."iOS 6 is the world's most advanced mobile operating system, and with nearly 300 million iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices on iOS 6 in just five months, it may be the most popular new version of an OS in history," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide marketing, in a press release. Right now, the option to buy movie tickets is only available in the U.S., but I'd be willing to bet this will get rolled out to other countries, particularly as it becomes an effective tool. This is an important step in taking Siri where it is now (a fun tool that helps searching) to what it will ultimately become (a personal assistant used to help you do everything). I'd bet the boys and girls at Apple have plenty more worked up for Siri. The fun is just beginning. Just make sure to get your popcorn with butter for the show. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV