Non-interest income for the nine months ended December 31, 2012 was $4.4 million, a decrease of $962,000 or 18.1% compared to $5.3 million for the same period in the prior year. For the current quarter non-interest income was $1.7 million, a decrease of $860,000 or 33.6% compared to $2.6 million for the same quarter in 2011. The decrease in both periods was primarily the result of decrease in the gain on sale of investments.
For the nine months ended December 31, 2012, non-interest expense increased $1.5 million or 9.4% to $17.1 million, compared to $15.6 million for the same period in 2011. The increase in non-interest expense is primarily a result of an increase in the net costs associated with the operation of foreclosed properties including write downs on these properties. Excluding these costs, non-interest expense would have decreased $452,000 or 3.1% for the nine months ended December 31, 2012. For the quarter ended December 31, 2012, non-interest expense increased $458,000 or 8.7% to $5.7 million compared to $5.2 million in 2011, of which $257,000 of the increase related to net costs associated with operation of foreclosed properties.
The provision for income taxes decreased $960,000 or 57.7% to $704,000 for the nine months ended December 31, 2012 compared to $1.7 million for the same period in 2011. For the quarter ended December 31, 2012, provision for income taxes decreased $1.1 million or 86.1%. In December 2011, the Company reorganized as a bank holding company. As a result of this transaction, the Company recognized a one-time charge of $625,000 in income tax expense which resulted from a portion of its deferred tax asset that became unrealizable. Going forward as a result of the charter conversion, the Company will be subject to a lower state income tax rate and therefore will experience lower income tax expense.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV