Speculation that Transocean could increase capital to shareholders began this month after the company admitted criminal charges for its role in a 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and agreed to pay out $1.4 billion in fines to settle claims with the Department of Justice.
With criminal litigation in the rear-view mirror and a fine in line with Transocean's provisions, some speculated the company would be free to boost its dividend, an analysis seemingly confirmed by Icahn's investment.
Icahn has had a busy 12 months in the oil and gas space, highlighted by an activist stake in embattled driller Chesapeake Energy (CHK), which has netted billions in asset sales and a revamping of the company's board.
Sandridge Energy (SD), another noteworthy energy sector activist play, is currently battling hedge funds Mount Kellett Capital Management and TPG-Axon Capital Management over whether CEO Tom Ward should be fired.All told, there's a cloudy outlook for the oil and gas industry. Many drillers have spent wildly to gain access to highly valued shale assets, but may be stretched financially as drilling programs kick into gear. Meanwhile, gas-focused drillers still face uncertain commodity prices that could make production too costly. See TheStreet ratings for Hess and Transocean for more on the outlook for both companies. Follow @AntoineGara -- Written by Antoine Gara in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV