Oil Up Slightly After Mixed US Economic Reports
By the Associated Press
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ The price of oil rose Monday after a strong durable goods report in the U.S.
Demand for long-lasting manufactured goods rose sharply in December with gains in volatile aircraft orders, the Commerce Department said. But the number of pending home sales fell last month after hitting a 2 Â½ year high in November.
Benchmark oil rose 56 cents to finish at $96.44 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange.It's a big week for U.S. economic indicators. In addition to Monday's data, the government will release reports on weekly jobless claims, unemployment and fourth-quarter growth. And the Federal Reserve's policy committee holds a two-day meeting that concludes on Wednesday. At the pump, the average price for a gallon of gas rose over the weekend to $3.35, the highest level since the second week of December. Brent crude, used to price international varieties of oil, rose 20 cents to end at $113.48 a barrel on the ICE Futures exchange in London. In other energy futures trading on Nymex: â¿¿ Wholesale gasoline rose 6 cents to finish at $2.94 per gallon. â¿¿ Natural gas fell 16 cents to end at $3.29 per 1,000 cubic feet. â¿¿ Heating oil rose about half a cent to finish at $3.06 a gallon. ___ Pamela Sampson in Bangkok and Pablo Gorondi in Budapest contributed to this report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV