Excluding items, Boeing earned $978 million, or $1.28 a share, in the quarter. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had estimated $1.19 a share. Revenue rose 14% to $22.3 billion. Analysts had estimated $22.4 billion. In the same quarter a year earlier, Boeing earned $1.4 billion, or $1.84 a share.
Including items, Boeing earned $978 million, or $1.28 a share, down from $1.69 billion, or $1.92 a share, last year.
"Strong fourth-quarter operating performance capped a year of significant growth and solid execution, driving higher earnings and cash flow for our company," said CEO Jim McNerney, in a prepared statement.But McNerney noted that Boeing must address the 787 review. "Our first order of business for 2013 is to resolve the battery issue on the 787 and return the airplanes safely to service with our customers," he said. Looking ahead, Boeing said it expects full-year earnings excluding items between $5 and $5.20 a share. Analysts had been estimating $5.13. The company expects revenue of $88.1 billion; analysts estimated $88.2 billion. Follow @tedreednc -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV