NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Yahoo! (YHOO) shares have enjoyed a tremendous run since Marissa Mayer took over as CEO in mid-July. However, she'll need to deliver results to keep moving the stock higher, as Wall Street looks for answers instead of promises.
It's been six months since I said that Mayer was a bad choice for Yahoo!, noting that she had never led a turnaround project as big as this one. The share price appreciation since her hire date says I'm wrong. As One Republic and Timbaland would say, It's Too Late to Apologize.
Third-quarter earnings from Yahoo! were better-than-expected, boosted by encouraging news from its Asian assets, namely Alibaba. Yahoo! shares have significantly outperformed the Nasdaq in the past six months, gaining 26.4%, compared to a 6.48% gain in the tech-heavy index. Core Yahoo!, specifically its content properties, including Sports, Finance, and others, are going to be Mayer's big focus, as she tries to leverage Yahoo!'s enormous traffic (some 700 million monthly users) into revenue growth.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV