NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - The latest worldwide smartphone sales numbers have been tallied by IDC, and some Asian newcomers have made it into the top five - while pushing out some famous contenders in the process.
According to fourth-quarter, 2012 figures from the tech research firm, Chinese manufacturers Huawei and ZTE - along with Japanese giant Sony (SNE) have made it onto the list of top five smartphone sales, while HTC and LG have dropped down a few notches.
In the latest numbers, Samsung has increased its lead over number two Apple (AAPL). Samsung shipped 63.7 million units for a 29% market share in the fourth quarter. That's a year-over-year change of 76%. Apple garnered 47.8 million units for 21.8% of the market and a year-over-year 29% gain. In third place was Huawei, which shipped 10.8 million units for a 4.9% share and a whopping year-over year increase of 90%.
The two newcomers on the list are Sony and ZTE - Sony with 9.8 million units (4.5% market share), up 56% year-over-year, and close behind in fifth place is ZTE, which registered 9.5 million units shipped for a 4.3% share (a year-over-year increase of 48%).But, more familiar vendor names still appear in IDC's list of 2012, year-end smartphone totals: Samsung: 215.8 million units (39.6% market share) Apple: 136.8 million units (25.1%) Nokia (NOK): 35.1 million units (6.4%) HTC: 32.6 million units (6.0%) Research in Motion (RIMM): 32.5 million units (6.0%) Year over year, Samsung is up 129%, with Apple up 47%, while Nokia is down 55% and HTC down 25%. RIM shipments dropped 36%. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV