IRVINE, Calif., Jan. 28, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Endologix, Inc. (Nasdaq:ELGX), developer and marketer of innovative treatments for aortic disorders, announced today that data from the first prospective, multicenter, randomized clinical trial of a totally percutaneous approach (PEVAR) to endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair (EVAR) was recently presented at two medical meetings. The presentation on the closure device independent substudy was made by Zvonimir Krajcer, MD (Program Director - Peripheral Vascular Interventions, Department of Cardiology, St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital at the Texas Heart Institute, Houston, TX) at the 25 th Annual International Symposium on Endovascular Therapy (ISET), which took place January 19-23, 2013. The presentation on the PEVAR Trial primary analysis was made by Peter R. Nelson, MD, MS (Assistant Professor of Vascular Surgery at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL) at the 37 th Annual Meeting of the Southern Association for Vascular Surgery (SAVS), which took place January 23-26, 2013.
The presentations by Dr. Krajcer and Dr. Nelson reported the randomized trial results comparing PEVAR using the Endologix 21Fr (OD) sheath based system delivered using a percutaneous approach (the 'pre-close' technique) using the Perclose ProGlide® Suture-Mediated Closure System 1, made by healthcare company Abbott, with surgical access EVAR. Key points from the trial include:
- The primary trial endpoint was met (P<.0036), definitively demonstrating the non-inferiority of PEVAR using the ProGlide closure device to surgical EVAR
- A 94% procedural technical success rate was achieved in a multicenter setting
- Mean procedure time was reduced in PEVAR patients by 34 minutes (P=.006). Likewise, mean time to hemostasis was reduced following PEVAR by 13 minutes (P=.002)
- PEVAR patients required significantly fewer concomitant procedures
- Favorable trending of PEVAR in several clinical utility outcomes including reduced anesthesia time, reduced blood loss and need for transfusion, shorter hospital length of stay, and less analgesics prescribed for groin pain
- The PEVAR non-inferiority to surgical EVAR persisted through the final 6-month follow-up
The PEVAR Trial was designed to support the safety and effectiveness of the Company's 21Fr and smaller profile EVAR platforms, including the Powerlink ® with IntuiTrak System and the AFX™ Endovascular AAA System in the percutaneous treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysm. The Company anticipates the full data from the presentation made by Dr. Nelson will be published in the Journal of Vascular Surgery during the second quarter 2013.John McDermott, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Endologix, said, "The positive results from our PEVAR Trial provide strong clinical evidence supporting a totally percutaneous approach using our integrated sheath-based systems in EVAR procedures. The study demonstrated that PEVAR is non-inferior to surgical EVAR, with significantly reduced procedure times and time to hemostasis. The study also showed positive trends towards lower blood loss, less need for pain medication, and shorter lengths of stay, which are attractive for physicians, hospitals and patients. There was strong interest in the PEVAR data at ISET and SAVS meetings and we remain well positioned, pending FDA approval, to begin training physicians on the PEVAR procedure."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV