I made the call in last week's article, The Anti-Apple: Netflix to $300 by Summer. Since first telling investors to prepare to buy NFLX, the stock has soared 194%; it's up 74% since I first predicted $300.
My Netflix take just illustrates this market's senselessness.
I know it sounds crazy. I write about how much I love the Netflix service. How much better it is now than in 2011. I called the move to $100. Called the move past $100. And now I am forecasting a retest of the stock's all-time highs. Meanwhile, Apple (AAPL) crashes with dim light at the end of the pipeline.It's nonsense, no question about it. I'm with you. As I've said before, valuation means nothing in this market, nor should it. Just as I have no problem with Amazon.com's (AMZN) 3,400 P/E ratio, I cast no pebbles at NFLX's lofty 585. As I explained prior to Apple's earnings, P/E no longer works as a valuation metric. Better to use it to gauge investor confidence. This new and more relevant way of using the P/E ratio doesn't exonerate investors from doing hard work and struggling with the seemingly irrational -- NFLX up, AAPL down, Amazon's P/E, among other examples. AMZN gets the benefit of the doubt because Jeff Bezos has executed strategically for more than a decade. AAPL no longer receives the same pass because, simply put, Steve Jobs is dead. Investors have higher levels of confidence in Bezos's ability to follow through than they do Tim Cook's. I don't completely agree with that, though I do see where it's coming from. What matters is that the collective mindset is out there.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV