“Our 2013 guidance reflects our belief in Biogen Idec’s continued strong performance based on the strength of our core existing products and our anticipated product launches," said Paul Clancy, chief financial officer, for Biogen Idec. “We are investing smartly to ensure our commercial operations are ready to support TECFIDERA, Factor VIII and Factor IX, and we will maintain our disciplined SG&A and R&D investments in 2013. This is an exciting time for all of us at Biogen Idec, as well as for patients and our shareholders.”
Fourth Quarter Events
- On December 20, 2012, Biogen Idec announced it created a new research consortium in collaboration with several leading academic research centers that will leverage a range of scientific techniques and disciplines to identify new approaches to treating ALS. It is anticipated that coordinating research and sharing results across a number of different disciplines will greatly accelerate the understanding of the mechanism of ALS and the development of new targets and approaches to treatment.
- On December 12, 2012, Biogen Idec and Eisai Inc. announced a strategic alliance aimed at bolstering the manufacturing capabilities of both companies’ Research Triangle Park (RTP)-based facilities. Under the terms of the agreement, Biogen Idec will lease a portion of the Eisai facility to manufacture oral solid dose products for both companies. Eisai will provide Biogen Idec with vial-filling services for biologic therapies and packaging services for oral solid dose products. The 10-year lease agreement, which is cancellable after five years and will become effective in February 2013, gives Biogen Idec the option to purchase the Eisai oral solid dose facility.
- On December 10, 2012, Biogen Idec and Isis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. announced they have entered into a global collaboration agreement under which the companies will discover and develop antisense drugs against three targets to treat neurological or neuromuscular disorders. Biogen Idec and Isis are also developing antisense drugs to treat spinal muscular atrophy and myotonic dystrophy type 1 under previously established collaborations.
- On November 29, 2012, Biogen Idec dedicated a new facility in RTP, consolidating its 300-person Patient Services operation within its RTP campus. The new 190,000 square foot building is anticipated to achieve LEED-Gold certified status in the coming months and will accommodate increasing levels of manufacturing activity at the site. The official groundbreaking for the building was in April 2011.
- On November 8, 2012, Biogen Idec, together with a coalition of leaders in hemophilia advocacy and treatment, announced a nationwide program that will offer free genetic testing to people with hemophilia and their families. The initiative, called My Life, Our Future: Genotyping for Progress in Hemophilia, is a partnership between the National Hemophilia Foundation, the American Thrombosis and Hemostasis Network, Puget Sound Blood Center and Biogen Idec. Designed to help uncover genetic information that can be used by physicians to individualize the care of people with hemophilia, the initiative will also work to generate data that may lead to new scientific discoveries.
Conference Call and Webcast
The company's earnings conference call for the fourth quarter will be broadcast via the internet at 8:00 a.m. ET on January 28, 2013, and will be accessible through the Investors section of Biogen Idec's homepage, www.biogenidec.com. Supplemental information in the form of a slide presentation will also be accessible at the same location on the internet at the time of the conference call and will be subsequently available on the website for one month.About Biogen Idec Through cutting-edge science and medicine, Biogen Idec discovers, develops and delivers to patients worldwide innovative therapies for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, hemophilia and autoimmune disorders. Founded in 1978, Biogen Idec is the world’s oldest independent biotechnology company. Patients worldwide benefit from its leading multiple sclerosis therapies, and the company generates more than $5 billion in annual revenues. For product labeling, press releases and additional information about the company, please visit www.biogenidec.com. Safe Harbor This press release contains forward-looking statements, including statements about potential product launches, 2013 financial guidance, growth prospects, clinical trial readouts, regulatory submissions and the development of new treatments. These forward-looking statements may be accompanied by such words as “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “forecast,” “intend,” “may,” “plan,” “potential,” “project,” “target,” “will” and other words and terms of similar meaning. You should not place undue reliance on these statements.