Head Off The Beaten Track And Discover China As It Used To Be
LONDON, January 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
When people think of holidays to China, most people imagine the bright lights of Shanghai, the Great Wall or the Terracotta Warriors; scratch the surface and you can experience a China of yester-century.
A few hours south-west of Shanghai lies Anhui province, famed for beautiful landscapes, green tea and ancient villages of Unesco world heritage status. Reached easily by train, plane or a scenic drive via Wuyuan, from either Shanghai or Hangzhou, Huangshan (Yellow Mountain) and its surrounding villages are the main reason for going to this seldom-visited province. Tunxi, Xidi and Hongcun make for a great side stop when visiting Huangshan and, if you can't spend the night on the mountain, then Tunxi has hotels to base yourself.Xidi Arriving into Xidi, you are greeted by a typical memorial archway, now regarded as a masterpiece of the Ming dynasty's archways. Encircled by green hills and two small streams, all the streets and lanes are cobble paved, the houses are grey and white washed with little archways and beautiful paned windows scattered around the town. The town is full of exquisite wood, stone and brick carvings, evidence that art is a huge part of this town's livelihood and culture. Hongcun Twenty minutes' drive from Xidi is Hongcun which was awarded Unesco world heritage status as well as becoming famous as a location in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Artists normally line the lake in front of the village and a beautiful marble bridge is its only gateway. Designed by a feng shui master, the village is architecturally unique as it supposedly represents a sleeping ox. Extremely well preserved and with little or no restoration, the village oozes charm and the winding, narrow alleys allow sometimes unexpected glimpses of village life.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV