Hey, guess who's still making and selling cars here?
No, not Suzuki. They just announced plans to fold up the sales tent last month after selling little more than 25,000 cars last year and eking out a 0.1% share of the market. Nope, not Saab either after selling fewer that 5,600 cars during its brief revival.Yep, it's Mitsubishi and the walking corpse it calls Mitsubishi Motors North America. Once a partnership between Chrysler and Mitsubishi that produced vehicles such as the Mitsubishi Eclipse, Dodge Stratus and Chrysler Sebring at its plant in Normal, Ill., Mitsubishi Motors North America has been reduced to producing only the company's Galant model. Mitsubishi has killed off its Eclipse and Endeavor vehicles in recent years and sells only four models in the U.S.: The Galant, the Lancer compact, the Outlander crossover SUV and the tiny iMiEV electric car. While sales of the Outlander and some Lancer models were up last year. Mitsubishi's overall U.S. sales plummeted 27% from 2011. There were only three vehicle brands sold in the U.S. with a smaller market share than Mitsubishi's last year: Suzuki, Porsche (0.2%) and Jaguar (0.1%). Since no one would confuse Mitsubishi with the latter two, there's a strong chance it could meet the same fate in the U.S. as the first. A Super Bowl ad could remind everyone they're around, but you kind of get the feeling the company is in no hurry to do so.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV