Counterpart International Celebrates 48 Years
The partnership between a priest and a movie star was unconventional enough, but it was the Foundation's approach to international development that contemporaries deemed revolutionary.
The young FSP's "first guiding principle"—help local communities build the infrastructure that enables them to resolve their own problems—was radical in its time.
That tenet continued to guide the organization when the U.S. government invited it in 1992 to apply its proven community-driven approach to the former Soviet Union.
The expansion prompted the name change to Counterpart International, a name Hosie says still reflects its ongoing mission to empower people, communities and institutions to drive and sustain their own development. www.Counterpart.org"We opted for a name that expressed what we stood for," wrote Hosie in his 2010 book "The House that Betty Built" (Rudder Finn Press). "This, from our earliest beginnings, was 'partnership.' We were not an organization with a large staff that we sent into developing nations to run programs. We were an organization that went into developing nations to work with their leaders, with their grassroots communities and their embryonic, even virtual, civil societies." Parker attributes the continual growth of Counterpart to the enormous depth of expertise and dedication of its global staff—more than 95 percent of whom work in the countries or regions they are from. Counterpart International ( www.Counterpart.org) is based in Arlington, Va. Media Contact: Michael J. ZambaVice President, Communications & PartnershipsCounterpart International2345 Crystal Drive, Suite 301 Arlington, VA 22202 Tel.: (571) 447-5700 www.Counterpart.org SOURCE Counterpart International
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV