THOUSAND OAKS, Calif., Jan. 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Amgen (NASDAQ:AMGN) announced today results from Pegfilgrastim and Anti-VEGF Evaluation Study (PAVES), a Phase 3 trial which evaluated Neulasta ® (pegfilgrastim) in 845 patients receiving FOLFOX or FOLFIRI and bevacizumab for the first-line treatment of locally-advanced or metastatic colorectal cancer. FOLFOX and FOLFIRI are two of the most commonly used chemotherapy regimens for colorectal cancer.
The study met its primary endpoint, with Neulasta significantly reducing the incidence of febrile neutropenia. Febrile neutropenia is a low white blood cell count accompanied by a fever. 1 In the study, the incidence of grade 3 or 4 febrile neutropenia in patients receiving Neulasta across the first four cycles of chemotherapy was 2.4 percent compared to 5.7 percent in the placebo group (OR=0.41, p=0.014). A similar incidence of grade 3 or higher adverse events was seen in both arms of the trial (28 percent placebo; 27 percent Neulasta).
"This analysis showed that PAVES met its primary endpoint, with Neulasta significantly reducing the incidence of febrile neutropenia in patients with colorectal cancer," said Sean E. Harper, M.D., executive vice president of Research and Development at Amgen. "In addition to providing new data on Neulasta, we believe PAVES will provide valuable information to the oncology community on commonly-used chemotherapy regimens."
Full results will be presented on Saturday, Jan. 26 during the 2013 Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium, General Poster Session C (C1) by Tamas Pinter, M.D., the PAVES principal investigator, Aladar Korhaz Hospital, Onkoradiologiai Osztaly, Gyor, Hungary (Late Breaking Abstract No. 445).Follow-up results of PAVES looking at additional endpoints, including mature data on overall survival, overall response rate, time to progression and progression-free survival, will be presented at a future date.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV