IIA Releases Broadband Guide For The 113th Congress
WASHINGTON, Jan. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Internet Innovation Alliance (IIA) today released the "IIA 2013 Broadband Guide for the 113th Congress." The Alliance created the 21-page Guide to provide the next generation of policy makers and leaders with the information they need to make informed decisions about Internet policy. It includes six major sections complete with answers to common questions, definitions of technical terms and background on the importance of the Internet Protocol (IP) evolution.
"Few American innovations have changed the world more profoundly and positively than the Internet," said IIA Honorary Chairman Rick Boucher, who served as a Member of the U.S. House of Representatives for 28 years. "Today more than 2.5 billion people are connected to the Internet and have access to information and opportunities that did not exist 20 years ago."
Boucher – also co-founder of the House Internet Caucus and former chair of the Subcommittee on Telecommunications & the Internet – added, "It's critical that policy makers be well-informed as they make decisions affecting the Internet in order to promote and encourage the expansion of Internet investment, access and adoption."
The Guide also includes broadband-related data points such as:
- Over the past three years, American smartphone adoption has increased from 16.9 percent to 54.9 percent, according to Nielsen.
- One out of three American homes now relies on wireless-only technologies, according to the U.S. National Health Interview Survey (NHIS).
- The tech industry added nearly 100,000 jobs from January to June 2012, a 1.7 percent increase, according to TechAmerica Foundation's Competitiveness Series.
- As of April 2012, 66 percent of American adults had a high-speed broadband connection at home versus 11 percent a decade earlier in March 2002, according to Pew Research.
- The app economy, which didn't even exist five years ago, now employs more than 500,000 Americans, according to research by Economist Michael Mandel.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV