Palladium, Platinum Prices Jump On Supply Concerns
By The Associated Press
Prices for palladium and platinum jumped Friday on supply concerns.
Palladium for March delivery rose $14.30, or 2 percent, to $741 per ounce. April platinum rose $11.10 to $1,694.90 per ounce.
Traders were reacting to a report that Russia's stockpiles of both metals are expected to be smaller this year, according to Howard Wen, a precious metals research analyst at HSBC. When a commodity's supply shrinks, its price tends to rise.Palladium and platinum can trade as industrial metals, so they were also helped by the ongoing rally in stock prices. Both metals are used in catalytic converters for vehicles. Other key metals were down and energy prices were lackluster, after the government reported that new-home sales fell last month. Gold for April delivery fell $13.30 to $1,656.60 per ounce. March silver fell 51.6 cents to $31.206 per ounce. March copper fell 2.45 cents to $3.652 per pound. Benchmark oil lost 7 cents at $95.88 in New York. Brent crude, used to price international varieties of oil, ended flat at $113.28 per barrel in London. Wholesale gasoline rose 1 cent to $2.88 per gallon. Natural gas ended unchanged at $3.44 per 1,000 cubic feet. Heating oil fell 3 cents to $3.06 a gallon. March contracts for key agricultural commodities were also mixed. Wheat rose 1 percent, up 8 cents to $7.765 per bushel. Soybeans also rose, up 5.75 cents to $14.41 per bushel. Corn fell 3.5 cents to $7.2075 per bushel.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV