PASCAGOULA, Miss., Jan. 25, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Huntington Ingalls Industries (NYSE:HII) announced today that its Ingalls Shipbuilding division has awarded $109,271 in grants to 26 schools and educational organizations in Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana. The grants, which were requested by all of the organizations, will be used for projects associated with science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
A photo accompanying this release is available at http://media.globenewswire.com/hii/mediagallery.html?pkgid=16860
"These STEM grants provide additional resources to our Gulf Coast schools so teachers can better promote an educational foundation based on math and science," said Ingalls Shipbuilding President Irwin F. Edenzon. "As technology continues to move faster and faster, STEM knowledge becomes more necessary in just about everything we do, but especially in shipbuilding. In five years, Ingalls has awarded $429,771 to our area schools, and our plan is to continue these grants to increase the engagement of students in math and science curriculum."The 2013 STEM grants include: Mississippi Moss Point Family Education Center - $10,000 to support the design and stand-up of a STEM Room that will serve the needs of pre-K through fifth grade students in the district. Vancleave Upper Elementary School - $5,000 to help students improve and protect the quality of Mississippi's coastal resources by identifying and solving problems through research and active investigation. St. Martin High School - $5,000 to be used to help students turn undeveloped land on the school's campus into a viable green space. They will design, build and maintain an eco-friendly water system.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV