Earnings Preview: Peabody 4Q Profits Seen Lower
At issue is whether companies violated federal leasing law by paying royalties based on the coal's mine price, then selling it overseas at a higher price through affiliated brokers. Peabody said it was fully compliant with federal royalty rules.
In November, Peabody announced plans to close a 400-worker southern Illinois coal mine, saying the operation was "unsustainable" due to the mine's failure to meet acceptable standards for safety, compliance and performance. Peabody said that site sold 2.2 million tons of coal in 2011, a sliver of the 250.6 million tons the company took to market that year.
WHY IT MATTERS: Peabody's earnings are closely watched because the company usually is among the first of the coal sector's big players to report earnings each quarter. It gives analysts and investors a snapshot of the industry's health, including an outlook for thermal coal demand used to produce electricity.
WHAT'S EXPECTED: On average, analysts polled by FactSet expect Peabody's fourth-quarter profit to be $74.5 million, or 25 cents a share, on an adjusted basis, with revenue of $1.93 billion.EARLIER SHOWINGS: Peabody's profit in last year's quarter plummeted to $42.9 million, or 16 cents per share, compared with $274.1 million, or $1 per share, a year earlier. Income from continuing operations was 46 cents per share, topping the 34 cents per share forecast by analysts. Revenue was $2.06 billion. STOCK PERFORMANCE: Peabody shares rose 17.6 percent during the fourth quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV