Berlusconi Vows To Cancel Property Tax On Day 1
Berlusconi blamed Monti's reinstatement of the tax on primary residences for Italy's spiral into recession, claiming it had decreased property values, reduced spending by ordinary Italians, slowed housing sales and seriously harmed the construction industry.
"Let's have a look at the damage that an untimely tax can do," Berlusconi said.
In truth, Italy's construction industry has been suffering throughout the economic crisis, which long predates the imposition of the property tax. A study by nationwide realtors group Tecnocasa said housing prices dropped around 5 percent around major cities and their suburbs last year, but there was no indication that the property tax was to blame: Tecnocasa cited tougher financing in the economic crisis and concerns about job security. It said there was no immediate impact on the purchases of primary residences.
Berlusconi came to power in 2008 after a last-minute campaign promise to remove the property tax, which he abolished in his first Cabinet meeting. On Friday, he promised to do the same if his coalition wins.Monti had originally defended the tax as necessary and reasonable given that most of the developing world imposes one. But now that he is campaigning, Monti has said he would be open to revisions. ___ Follow Nicole Winfield at www.twitter.com/nwinfield
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV