WASHINGTON and HOUSTON, Jan. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- NiSource's Columbia Gas Transmission ( Columbia) today received approval from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) for a customer settlement that facilitates Columbia's comprehensive pipeline infrastructure investment plan.
The settlement, filed on September 4, 2012 and widely supported by Columbia's customers, covers the initial five years of Columbia's investment plan and contains provisions for potential extension thereafter. Among other components, key elements of the settlement identify individual infrastructure projects and establish a mechanism for recovery of Columbia's revenue requirement for infrastructure investment under the plan.
"FERC's approval of our customer settlement is a milestone in our efforts to modernize Columbia's interstate pipeline system in a balanced, thoughtful and transparent manner," said Jimmy Staton, Columbia's chief executive officer. "We acknowledge FERC for their timely review and approval, and appreciate the collaboration from our customers. We look forward to getting the job done. The work we do will help ensure safer, more reliable pipeline infrastructure for our customers and the communities across our footprint."
Under the settlement, Columbia will invest approximately $300 million per year, in addition to a $100 million investment in ongoing maintenance, over the 2013 through 2017 period on system improvements, which include:
- Replacing Aging Infrastructure – commencing the replacement of approximately 1,000 miles of existing interstate transmission pipelines, primarily bare steel (400 miles in the first five years);
- Upgrading Natural Gas Compression Systems – replacing and modernizing more than 50 critical compressor units along the pipeline system that will enhance system efficiency and improve environmental performance;
- Increasing Pipeline System Reliability – uprating pressures and looping systems where needed to ensure gas is reliably delivered to critical markets; and
- Expanding In-Line Inspection Capabilities – facilitating Columbia's ability to perform state-of-the-art maintenance and inspections without interrupting services
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV