By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Option traders have been focused on the energy sector for weeks, and Thursday they turned their attention to BP (BP).
The March 46 calls stood out in particular, seeing more than 5,800 contracts trade for 38 cents and 39 cents. That volume was slightly above the open interest in the strike before Thursday's trading began, indicating that new money was being put to work.
Calls lock in the price where investors can buy shares, so they can produce significant leverage in the event of a rally. But if the stock doesn't move, these options will expire worthless.BP fell 0.36% to $44.11 on Thursday. The options activity remained pretty positive throughout the session, with 25,000 calls trading in all strikes versus 15,000 puts. Total volume was twice the daily average. Najarian has no positions in BP.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV