CBS had just about enough of controversy in 2010, when it ran ads from religious organization Focus On The Family featuring quarterback Tim Tebow and a link to a pro-life message on the organization's website.
Smith & Wesson (SWHC), Cerberus' Freedom Group, Colt Manufacturing and other gun makers haven't been particularly active on Super Bowl Sunday in the past and likely didn't get an engraved invitation from CBS this year. Like liquor, beer and adult entertainment, those companies' products and the right to use them are protected under the constitution. Like those products, however, they have plenty of detractors who wouldn't mind seeing some increased regulation of their industry.The big difference is that, in light of grave recent events, their industry is under heavy federal scrutiny right now and is one of those hot-button topics you just can't seem to discuss in polite company anymore. There's some pretty strong argument coming at the gun industry from both sides, and that's exactly the type of thing networks and broad-based organizations such as the NFL usually love to avoid. That didn't stop NBC from running a gun-control ad during last year's Super Bowl featuring New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Tom Menino, but CBS seems to agree that the stakes have risen in the past few months. -- Written by Jason Notte in Portland, Ore. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV