Liquor is enjoying quite the post-recession renaissance here in the U.S.
The U.S. Distilled Sprits Council says sales increased 4% to nearly $20 billion in 2011, with sales by volume increasing by 2.7% in that same span. That puts both figures at pre-crisis levels and leaves companies such as Diageo (DEO), Beam (BEAM), Brown-Forman (BF.A) and Constellation Brands (STRZ) flush with cash to spare.Not that Super Bowl broadcasters will let them spend it. While liquor ads have found a happy home on cable, they're still restricted to late-night on broadcast networks and only during shows such as ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live!, for which 72% of the audience or more is at least 21 years old. While the Super Bowl can run fairly late on the East Coast, the networks' 11 p.m. cutoff is still a stretch for liquor companies. They aren't likely to cough up $4 million for ads that may or may not air. According to Kantar, Liquor companies spent $114 million on television ads in 2011. That's some serious expendable income, but just a shot compared with the $922 million beer companies poured into TV ads that year. With one Super Bowl ad equalling roughly 3.5% of the liquor industry's TV ad spending for the entire year, don't expect sprits companies to get in the game anytime soon.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV