PORTLAND, Ore. (TheStreet) -- Despite what the receipts may indicate, the NFL and its Super Bowl broadcast partners don't just take every dollar and ad thrown their way.
This isn't recession-era 2010, when CBS (CBS) aired 104 commercials from 39 different companies and still fell short of the $213 million spent the year before, according to Kantar Media. Only 78 spots aired during the big game last year, while only 29 companies got into the game back in 2011.
While first-time advertisers accounted for nearly a third of all Super Bowl ads last year, networks and the NFL are still pretty particular about who gets airtime during the biggest televised event of the year. There are plenty of rookies this year, but Soda Stream International, Paramount Farms pistachios, Mondelez's (MDLZ) Oreo Cookies and Gildan Activewear (GIL) are all fairly safe bets for the NFL, its existing sponsor base and network executives looking to keep things family friendly.
Last year's Super Bowl drew an average of 111.3 million viewers for NBC (CMCSA) and attracted 166.8 million U.S. viewers -- or more than half the country -- throughout the broadcast. NBC came away with $262.5 million in ad money after charging a record $3.5 million per 30-minute spot and opened the door for CBS to charge upward of $4 million for half a minute of commercial time this year.Just because those big ratings mean big money doesn't mean there isn't cash being left on the table. We took a look through the Super Bowl commercial list and found five industries that haven't made the cut and possibly never will:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV