5 Best Housing Markets for 2013
Second-best market: Sacramento, Calif.
Projected median price gain: 11.9%
California's state capital saw median home prices plummet 52.3% during the bust, tumbling from $421,900 in late 2005 to just $201,200 by January 2012.
And while home values have rebounded 12.9% since then to hit a median $225,200, the market is still down nearly 50% from its peak.Humphries says prices are only back to mid-2002 levels, part of the reason Zillow predicts Sacramento's median home values will add another 11.9% this year. He adds that California's state government recently reversed years of budget problems and expects a small surplus in 2013 -- good news for Sacramento's housing market. "Being the state capital probably hasn't been a big factor for the Sacramento real estate in the past couple of years -- but now that they're running a surplus, we'll see if that will help," the economist says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV