5 Best Housing Markets for 2013
Third-best market: Phoenix, Ariz.
Projected median price gain: 8.5%
Like the phoenix of Greek mythology, the Phoenix housing market is rising back to life from its ashes.
Median home values in Arizona's capital city fell 56% after peaking at $282,600 in early 2006, but have been rebounding strongly since August 2011.Prices have risen 27.3% in a little over a year to reach $157,800, but are still nearly 50% below the market's peak. So Zillow expects home values to add another 8.5% in 2013. Humphries attributes the turnaround to huge buyer demand amid little available supply. He says more than 40% of local homeowners are underwater, making it tough for them to sell. Underwater consumers must either convince banks to approve "short sales" -- a difficult process -- or pay cash out of pocket to make up the difference between their unpaid mortgage balances and their homes' current values. The result: a listing shortage just as investors have begun snapping up Phoenix's bargain properties. Retirees and second-home buyers, particularly those from chilly Western Canada just three hours away by air, are also buying up houses and condo in the sun-drenched city, Humphries says. "Demand is returning to the Phoenix market while supply levels are tight -- which is helping prices," he says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV