New originated loans and refinancings of over $500 million were funded in markets throughout the company's footprint from both existing and new customers, exceeding regularly scheduled payoffs and paydowns. The net loan growth was mainly generated in the commercial and industrial (C&I) portfolio, up 5% linked-quarter. While most markets across the Company's footprint reported C&I growth, the most significant activity came from Louisiana and Houston. These two markets are home to a significant part of the Gulf Coast's energy sector, which again contributed to the growth during the quarter. The Company's energy portfolio totaled $905 million as of December 31, 2012, up from $758 million at September 30, 2012.
For the fourth quarter of 2012, average total loans were $11.5 billion, an increase of $284 million compared to the third quarter of 2012.
Total deposits at December 31, 2012 were $15.7 billion, up $1.0 billion, or almost 7%, from September 30, 2012. Average deposits for the fourth quarter of 2012 were $15.1 billion, up $287 million, or 2%, from the third quarter of 2012.Noninterest-bearing demand deposits (DDAs) totaled $5.6 billion at December 31, 2012, up $473 million, or 9%, compared to September 30, 2012. DDAs comprised 36% of total period-end deposits at December 31, 2012, up slightly from September 30, 2012. Interest-bearing public fund deposits totaled $1.6 billion at year-end 2012, up $259 million, or 20%, linked-quarter. DDA and public fund deposits typically reflect higher balances at year-end with subsequent reductions beginning in the first quarter. Time deposits (CDs) totaled $2.5 billion at December 31, 2012, up $78 million, or 3%, from September 30, 2012. During the fourth quarter, approximately $492 million of time deposits matured at an average rate of .38%, of which approximately $380 million renewed at an average cost of .18%. Additionally, in November of 2012, the Company issued $200 million in brokered CDs. These CDs were issued as a temporary liquidity source related to the year-end expiration of the FDIC Transaction Account Guarantee (TAG) Program. Half of the deposits issued were 3-month CDs with a cost of .50%. The remaining deposits were 6-month CDs issued at a cost of .65%. The Company has not experienced any material outflow of deposits as a result of the TAG expiration.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV