GULFPORT, Miss., Jan. 24, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Hancock Holding Company (Nasdaq:HBHC) today announced financial results for the fourth quarter of 2012. Net income for the fourth quarter of 2012 was $47.0 million, or $.54 per diluted common share, compared to $47.0 million, or $.55, in the third quarter of 2012. Net income was $19.0 million, or $.22, in the fourth quarter of 2011. Pre-tax earnings for the third and fourth quarters of 2012 included no merger-related costs. The fourth quarter of 2011 included pre-tax merger-related costs of $40.2 million.
Included in the Company's fourth quarter of 2012 results are:
- A $13.7 million pre-tax, or $.10 per diluted common share, loan loss provision expense related to a bulk sale of loans with a net book value of approximately $40 million (details included in the asset quality discussion). The sale was completed near the end of the year.
- Approximately $3.2 million, or $.04 per diluted common share, of one-time tax benefits mainly related to specific tax credits.
- Approximately $.6 million of pre-tax securities transactions gains.
- Realization of remaining cost synergies related to the Whitney acquisition.
Return on average assets was 0.99% for the fourth quarter of 2012, compared to 1.00% in the third quarter of 2012, and 0.39% in the fourth quarter a year ago.Operating income for the fourth quarter of 2012 was $46.6 million or $.54 per diluted common share, compared to $49.8 million, or $.58, in the third quarter of 2012. Operating income was $45.1 million, or $.53, in the fourth quarter of 2011. Operating income is defined as net income excluding tax-effected merger-related costs and securities transactions gains or losses. In addition, for the third quarter of 2012, operating income excluded the tax-effected expenses associated with the repurchase of a portion of Whitney Bank's subordinated debt (sub debt). Included in the financial tables is a reconciliation of net income to operating income.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV