USEC Inc. (NYSE:USU), a leading supplier of enriched uranium fuel, announced today that it has entered into a stock purchase agreement to sell NAC International Inc. to Hitz Holdings U.S.A. Inc., a subsidiary of Hitachi Zosen Corporation, for $45 million in cash following a competitive sale process.
USEC acquired NAC in 2004 as NAC was adding to its diverse suite of spent fuel management technologies with the development and licensing of its ground-breaking MAGNASTOR® technology. In addition to specializing in technologies for the safe interim storage of spent nuclear fuel, NAC also provides transportation services for radioactive material and nuclear industry and government consulting services. Hitachi Zosen has a long-standing business relationship with NAC as a fabricator of NAC’s dry cask storage and transportation systems and is a leading supplier of such systems in Japan.
“We are proud of the accomplishments of the NAC staff in recent years as they developed, licensed and started selling and delivering the industry-leading MAGNASTOR technology for storing spent fuel. NAC expects to deliver more than 100 dry storage systems in 2013,” said John K. Welch, president and CEO of USEC. “In the aftermath of events at Fukushima, there is a greater focus on spent fuel storage. Hitachi Zosen has been actively involved in NAC activities through fabrication work and is well positioned to further develop market opportunities for NAC’s innovative systems.”
Welch said the sale of NAC is part of USEC’s strategic focus on its core uranium enrichment business and the deployment of the American Centrifuge technology over the next several years. At closing, Hitz Holdings U.S.A. will acquire all outstanding shares of NAC for $45 million in cash, subject to a net working capital adjustment. The sale will also benefit USEC’s near-term balance sheet improvement efforts. USEC purchased NAC for $16 million in 2004.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV