Obama, GOP May be Ready to Deal on CFPB
Hensarling went on to say that he was hoping "that the decision to renominate Mr. Cordray will open the debate about whether some common sense checks and balances will be placed on a massive bureaucracy that is now totally unaccountable to the American people."
While Republicans in Congress were clearly annoyed at the president's hardball recess appointment tactic, they didn't see fit to press the issue. Cordray's recess appointment lasts until the end of 2013.
Petrasic argues that there is still a chance that President Obama may just get what he wants, with a quick Senate confirmation of Cordray: "This time around, Cordray has a track record as the director. Interestingly, I would suggest that the industry is OK with him generally, as the Bureau was responsive to a number of comments the industry put forth" on new mortgage lending rules banning certain sales practices that were finalized last week.
But it may serve Democrats and Republicans to ink some sort of deal and put the CFPB behind them."It is probably in the best interest of both parties to depoliticize the nomination process," Petrasic says, adding that "over the long term, for this agency to survive and become a moderating influence, you have to allow for some sort of process that takes it beyond the political process." -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. >Contact by Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV