Sterling Financial Corporation (NASDAQ:STSA) ("Sterling") today announced its operating results for the quarter and year ended December 31, 2012. For the quarter, Sterling recorded net income of $20.9 million, or $0.33 per diluted common share, compared to $30.6 million, or $0.49 per diluted common share, for the quarter ended September 30, 2012, and $14.8 million, or $0.24 per diluted common share, for the quarter ended December 31, 2011. For the year ended December 31, 2012, Sterling recorded net income of $385.7 million, or $6.14 per diluted common share, compared to $39.1 million, or $0.63 per diluted common share, for the year ended December 31, 2011. The 2012 annual net income included an income tax benefit of $292.0 million associated with the release of a deferred tax asset valuation allowance.
During the fourth quarter of 2012, there were four significant items that, in the aggregate, reduced net income by $11.9 million, or $0.19 per diluted share.
1. Sterling elected to effect a partial repositioning of its balance sheet in light of the current interest rate environment and outlook by prepaying $250.0 million of repurchase agreements and selling $361.8 million of mortgage-backed securities and other investments. A prepayment penalty of $32.7 million was recorded in connection with the debt prepayment and a gain of $11.2 million was recorded in connection with the securities sales.
2. A net gain of $8.4 million was recognized as a result of the divestiture of Sterling's Montana operations in a transaction that was completed on November 30, 2012.3. A charge of $2.0 million was recorded in connection with a tentative settlement related to a previously disclosed ERISA class action complaint. 4. An income tax benefit of $3.2 million was recorded principally as the result of the aforementioned three items, which were not contemplated at the time Sterling released substantially all of its deferred tax asset valuation allowance effective June 30, 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV