During the quarter, the Company’s income tax benefit included approximately $38 million of expense related primarily to a recent change to the California tax code and its impact on certain state deferred tax assets.
“While 2012 was characterized by a retrenchment of the retail investor, our brokerage business remained resilient,” said Matthew Audette, CFO. “Our net new assets and accounts surpassed 2011 levels as we continued to grow the franchise and made solid early progress in the retirement and investing segment. Additionally, we strengthened the financial position of the firm by executing on several elements of our long-term Strategic and Capital Plan. We deleveraged our balance sheet, improved our Bank capital ratios, refinanced $1.3 billion in expensive corporate debt and identified over $100 million of cost reductions. We look forward to building on this momentum during 2013.”
On January 17, E*TRADE’s Board of Directors announced the appointment of Paul Idzik as Chief Executive Officer, effective January 22.
“E*TRADE has built a lasting and iconic brand trusted by traders and investors alike, allowing the brokerage franchise to strengthen in the midst of a difficult economic environment,” said Paul Idzik, CEO. “I am enthusiastic about this opportunity and look forward to leading this company during its next phase of growth.”E*TRADE reported DARTs of 128,000 during the quarter, a decrease of one percent from the prior quarter and a decrease of nine percent versus the same quarter a year ago. DARTs for the full year were 138,000, down from 157,000 in 2011. At quarter end, the Company reported 4.5 million customer accounts, which included 2.9 million brokerage accounts. Net new brokerage accounts were 10,000 during the quarter compared with 18,000 in the prior quarter and 10,000 in the fourth quarter of 2011. For the full year, net new brokerage accounts totaled 120,000, compared with 99,000 in 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV